Monday 6 October 2014

Briefs Given - It Starts



Today we were given the three film briefs, all of which are in the slide above, and were asked to decide whether we want to work independently or in a group. I chose to work with a partner for several reasons and haven't decided on a set brief yet. I will not do the vampire thriller for personal reasons, and so have the choice of science fiction or a post-apocalyptic opening.

The post-apocalyptic opening is currently the most appealing to me, as I have more of a feasible range of ideas for this genre. My only gripe with doing a post-apocalyptic opening is that the genre is overdone so far in this century and many of my peers have chosen the same brief. So I'm quite conflicted, but in the end feel that I'm going to choose post-apocalyptic over science fiction.

I'm going to start analysing films of my chosen genre instead of films of every genre from now on to get an idea of the conventions of the chosen genre. I know some conventions, such as establishing shots of dead civilisations to show how empty the world is after the apocalypse. Here is a shot from 'I Am Legend', depicting the dead environment of a once alive civilisation:


The shot is looking up from the floor, intending to make the dead environment huge and majestic; the emptiness vast. Many post-apocalyptic films do this to put emphasis on isolation and loneliness. This is one of many conventions used within the post-apocalyptic genre, many more of which I will look into in the future, if I do decide to go with the post-apocalyptic genre as oppose to the science fiction one.

No comments:

Post a Comment